May 4, 2011

On Yer Bike! Pt.II:
Rad to the Power of Sick

Here's another bike story I came across.

In 2009, two creatives from George Patterson Y&R in Melbourne, Australia conducted an experiment.

Watch the video clip below to see what they did.



Using effective copywriting skills, these two guys began a "fully sick" eBay ad auction of an ordinary BMX bike. As the video shows, they bought it for an ordinary price and turned it into a viral success which not only generated a handsome profit but effectively sold their own skills as copywriters.

Wicked Sick Project - "Rad to the Power of Sick"


In the process, they created a popular internet sensation and promoted the George Patterson Y&R brand with a strong statement about how creativity can take an object from the ordinary to the extraordinary.

The full copy of the ad (which ended up creating a sale price five times greater than the original purchase price) reads:

“This is a max wicked sick BMX. 
It’s a Reliance Boomerang and it’s done heaps of maximum extreme stunts.  I have mostly done stunts on this bike since forever. Once I did a boom gnarly stunt trick on it and a girl got pregnant just by watching my extremeness to the maxxxx. 

Some details about sickmax BMX: 

Comes with everything you see including: 
 - TOPS AS SUSPENSION REAR FORKS!!
 - 2 x wheels
 - 1 x seat
I will even throw in my sick BMXing name for FREE – Wicked Styx. 
Has minor surface rust on handlebars and front forks (easily removed). 

More rust on rear forks (as shown in pics). Tyres hold air but are pretty old. 


Basically, it’s an old BMX, but it’s radness is still 100% in tact. 
Tricks I have done on this BMX: 
 - Endos – 234. 
 - Sick Wheelies – 687. 
 - Skids – 143,000. 
 - Bunny Hops – 2 (my brother dared me to do them, which I did because I’m Rad to the power of Sick). 
 - Flipouts – 28. 

If you buy this bike you will instantly become a member to every club that was ever invented, worldwide, because you will be awesome. 
Pick up from Richmond in Melbourne. Throw your hands in the air like you just don’t mind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment